Chicken Fajita & Homemade Tortillas
We love this Chicken Fajita and Homemade Tortillas meal!! It is cost effective and oh so delicious! You can make this simple meal at home and you’ll be in for a delicious treat! Let the family join in by rolling out and cooking their own tortillas. Everyone will enjoy joining in and eating this easy and delicious meal.
Lets start with the Chicken Fajita
It begins by slicing chicken breast into 1/2 inch slices and marinading for 1/2 hour and up to 8 hours. We’ve had times when we forget or make a last minute decision to make this recipe and only marinated for 30 minutes. The flavor is delicious. The flavor increases and infuses into the chicken the longer it marinates. Up to 8 hours that is.
What's in the marinade
What’s in the marinade? Simple ingredients that will add a burst of flavor to your sliced chicken breasts. Using a large zip lock baggie combine extra virgin olive oil, lime juice, garlic, salt, ground cumin, chili powder, oregano, smoked paprika, red pepper flakes, and cilantro. Seal tightly and shake to mix marinade ingredients and then add in your sliced chicken. Seal up that zip lock baggie and allow to marinate in your refrigerator for as little as 30 minutes and up to 8 hours.
Slice up those Veggies
After you start marinating the chicken slice up the veggies. We add a large yellow onion, peeled and sliced, but this can be an onion variety of your choosing. Bell peppers in red, yellow and green. But, orange would work great, too. Be sure to wash, remove stems, seeds and slice into 1/4 inches slices. We store ours in a large zip lock baggie. Placing them in the refrigerator until its time to sautee them.
Pretty Easy, Right?
Easy so far, right? We simplify it by preparing the marinade ahead of time. Also, slicing up the chicken breast and will combine them in the morning before work. Returning everything to the refrigerator and it’ll be ready to saute that night for dinner. A big time saver!
Time to Saute
After your chicken is marinated, its time to saute. We like to use our cast iron skillet, but if you don’t have one, no worries! Just use your favorite frying pan.
Heat your skillet over medium heat. Once heated, add a few tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and empty the chicken and marinade into your skillet. Because the chicken has been thinly sliced, it’ll cook up very quickly and shouldn’t take more than 6 to 8 minutes cooking time.
Once the chicken is cooked, remove only the chicken and place it in a bowl, cover with foil and allow to rest while you prepare the veggies.
Next up...the Veggies
Add a few more tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil to the skillet and marinade mixture. Once heated, in goes the veggies. Stir to coat with oil and marinade and saute until tender. Another 6 to 10 minutes. Stirring occasionally to prevent over cooking.
Once the veggies are tender return the chicken to the skillet. Stir to combine chicken and veggies. Allow to saute for a minute or two to reheat the chicken. Remove from heat and your meal is ready!
Your Chicken Fajita is ready to eat
Make your own tortillas, recipe to follow, or purchase premade ones. Add your favorite toppings and you have an authentic Mexican Chicken Fajita meal!
We’ve added the following video tutorial to help set you up for success. To inspire you and help you realize, you can make this meal! Don’t hesitate to watch it and as many times as you need to. We want you to enjoy our recipes as much as we do!
Once you’ve tried this easy dish you may never go to a restaurant for authentic Mexican style Chicken Fajita, again. We have a fantastic Spanish Rice Recipe that would be great with these Chicken Fajitas! Please give this a try, drop some comments below and tell us your thoughts!
Photography to Inspire you
- Cast iron skillet or skillet, plastic zip lock baggies
- 1 1/2 lbs Chicken breast sliced into 1/2 inch strips
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 to 3/4 tsp smoked chili powder
- 1-2 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped or 1/2 tsp hot red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup cilantro finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 3/4` tsp oregano
- 1 large onion, sliced we use yellow onions, use your favorite variety
- 1 red bell pepper sliced into 1/4" strips
- 1 green bell pepper sliced into 1/4" strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper sliced into 1/4" strips
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 to 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil use to saute vegetables
- tortillas, sliced avocados, sour cream, shredded cheese, finely chopped jalapeno peppers, finely chopped onion, lime wedges, and salsa
- In a large zip lock baggie combine all of the marinade ingredients. Seal bag and shake gently to combine.
- Add your sliced chicken, seal tightly, and return to your refrigerator for a minimum of 30 minutes and up to 8 hours
- After the meat is marinated heat your cast iron skillet, or skillet of your choosing, over medium heat.
- Add 1 to 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil to skillet and when it is heated add the chicken and all of the ingredients from your marinade zip lock baggie.
- Saute for 5-10 minutes and turning meat frequently.
- After chicken has sauteed, remove the chicken to a bowl and cover tightly with foil. Leave all of the remaining marinade in frying pan.
- Immediately after sauteeing your chicken add up to 1-2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, if needed.
- Add all vegetables, salt, and sugar to the skillet and saute until tender. Do not overcook.
- Uncover your chicken and add it to the vegetables. Stir chicken and vegetables together to mix and allow to saute a minute ust to reheat your chicken.
- Your fajitas are ready. You can make your own easy homemade tortillas or use some that you purchase at the store, add your favorite toppings, serve and enjoy!
Homemade Flour Tortillas
We have an amazing and simple homemade tortilla recipe to share with you. If you’ve never made your own flour tortillas you are in for a treat!!! Nothing compares to fresh made tortillas. The are tender yet light and flaky! Doesn’t that sound yummy?
Homemade Tortilla Recipe
Homemade Flour Tortillas
- Rolling pin, parchment paper, cast iron skillet or frying pan, stand mixer, dough attachment or hand mixer
- 3 cups flour all purpose flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup warm water Not hot water.
- Add three cups of all-purpose flour to a medium mixing bowl or stand mixer bowl.
- Add salt and baking soda. Using a whisk mix to combine
- Attach your bowl and dough hook attachment to the stand mixer.
- Turn on your stand mixer to its lowest speed.
- Slowly add your vegetable oil to the ingredients within its bowl. Allow a few moments to combine with flour, salt, and baking soda.
- Slowly add warm water. Allowing stand mixer to blend water/flour mix between pours. Continue slowly adding and mixing until the water is completely added.
- Allow stand mixer to knead the dough until wet and dry ingredients and thoroughly combined and has pulled away from the mixing bowl. Let the mixer knead dough for an additional minute.
- Remove dough hook and mixer bowl and set contents onto your flour-dusted work surface.
- Remove dough hook and hand knead for one minute.
- Rolling tortilla dough into a ball and then flatten into a thick disk
- Cut dough disk into 8 to 16 sections. Less sections will make larger tortillas.
- Roll sections into balls.
- Use the palm of your had to flatten each ball into thick disks.
- Cover with a dampened towel and allow to rest for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, pat or roll dough into thin round tortillas. Lol, I can't roll into round tortillas.
- Note: You can also use a flat surface such as a flat frying pan to press down and flatten the dough into tortillas. You can also use a tortilla press.
- Immediately set formed tortillas into heated cast iron skillet, one at a time. Heat 15-20 seconds, flip, and repeat. Repeat the process until all of the tortillas have cooked.
- Great for chicken fajitas, burritos or soft tacos.
Photography to inspire you
Find us on Social Media
Foto Visualista is part of the social media scene. Please add and follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube and Twitter. Pin our posts, tweet them and share them! Follow us to stay current and share us with your friends!
We are grateful for your interest and especially your visits here on the Blog. Be sure to add your name to our email subscription list!
Above all we appreciate you! We couldn’t do this without you and look forward to seeing you around the blog, very soon!!!